Wednesday, January 9, 2013

MATIZ GALLEGO-89

MATIZ GALLEGO: IN OLIVE OIL




APPEARANCE:


NUTRITION:
Per serving. Two to the tin.
Calories- 114
Fat Calories- 65
Total Fat- 7.3g
Sat Fat- 1.3g
Cholesterol- 22mg
Sodium- 286mg
Protein- 12g


PRODUCT OF:
Spain

INGREDIENTS:
Sardines, olive Oil, Sea Salt


PRICE:
Thanks to Sardine Eater, Gina for this tin.

OVERALL:
A very faint oil aroma upon opening. 3 plump, scaled fish to the tin. A roe-filled fish, no fishy taste or after taste. Not a spiny fish; scales are not noticeable. A very meaty fish, as well as really good textured fish. I would and will eat again. 5 sardines

7 comments:

  1. I was quite timid in trying Sardines. I went to a local gourmet market and picked a few cans of various brands. This brand was my hands down favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone tried the Matiz sardinillos with the piquillo peppers? I was not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, and I agree. Especially with the upcharge, I don't think they are worth the price. My favorite brands are Matiz, Nuri Spiced, and Master Spanish Style. I've eaten a sardine sandwich every single day for breakfast for the last 3 years. I have the biggest stock pile of sardines that you could imagine. Way more than even the guy who runs this rad site I bet. What are your favorites? Guy who runs this page, give me your top 5 favorites!! Your page is awesome! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I have, and didn't care for them either. I have eaten a sardine sandwich for breakfast every single day for the last 3 years. I have a sardine stockpile that would make this blogger weep I bet. What are your favorite brands? My favorites are Matiz (these reviewed here), Nuri spiced in olive oil, and Master Spanish style. Blogger Man!!! It is time for your favorite top 5!! Let us know!

      Delete
    3. Great to hear of such Sardine Love! Would love to see pics of your Sardine stockpile, nothing more beautiful than a stockpile of sardines. Top sardines... SARDINAS DEL GUEY MAR, by Güeyu Mar Restaurant. you will want to drink the oil afterwards.

      Delete
  3. If you're in Texas, Austin-based Central Market has an amazing sardine section. Matiz, Pinhais, Les Mouettes d'Arvor, Bela, Ortiz among them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I've been thinking about creating a Sardine source page on here. Keep popping those tins!

      Delete